While High School rugby has sprouted up in North Georgia in the last few years, due in large part to the efforts of
the Atlanta Renegades, there are only a handful of High School teams in the area. Most of the teams are coached by current and former Renegades, including 2005 and 2007 State Champion Lassiter High School (Trojans RFC), coached by former Renegades Center Randy "RJ" Joseph and the 2006 winners, Pope High School (Greyhounds RFC), coached by former Renegades Prop Steve Dimino.
These home grown players will likely continue to compete at the University level , and hopefully one of these players will wear a USA jersey against International competition in the near future. The challenge of promoting rugby begins at the grass roots level. The Renegades have taken the lead, providing a safe and exciting game to the youth of Georgia, but have a long road ahead in player development.
Current and Former Renegade players who are involved with High School rugby include:
- Dustin Karr: GHSRA Competitions Chair, GHSRA Select-Side Backs Coach, Oconee County High School RFC Head Coach/Founder, and one of the Charter four of the GHSRA along with Randy Joseph, Steve Dimino, and Dan MacDougald.
- Randy "RJ" Joseph: GHSRA Select-Side Head Coach, (Lassiter) Trojans RFC Head Coach/Founder (GHSRA State Champions 2005 and 2007), and one of the Charter four of the GHSRA along with Dustin Karr, Steve Dimino, and Dan MacDougald.
- Charles Campbell: Oconee County High School RFC Assistant Backs Coach from 2005-2006 before staring his own team as the Founder/Head Coach for the (Parkview) Panthers RFC. Charles is also the Team Manager for the GHSRA Select-Side.
- John Green: 2007 Backs Coach for the (Lassiter) Trojans RFC (GHSRA State Champions 2005 and 2007).
- John Garrigan: 2005-2006 Backs Coach for the (Lassiter) Trojans RFC (GHSRA State Champions 2005 and 2007).
- Joe Woycke: 2007 Head Coach for the Sequoyah High School Chiefs RFC as well as the GHSRA Select-Side Forwards Coach.
- Tim McNally: One of the three Charter members of the Atlanta Renegades RFC and the 2007 Head Coach for the Walton High School RFC.
- Leon Ndungu: The founder (2007) of the Walton High School RFC and Forwards Coach.
- Josh "Choppy" Porter: 2006 Assistant Forwards Coach for the Alpharetta Phoenix-United RFC and 2007 Head Coach of the Sequoyah High School Women's RFC.
- Steve Dimino: Former Atlanta Renegade and Founder/Head Coach for the (Pope) Greyhounds RFC (GHSRA State Champions 2006), and one of the Charter four of the GHSRA along with Dustin Karr, Randy Joseph, and Dan MacDougald.
- Tarrin Lupo: Former Atlanta Renegade and 2007 Head Coach for the Campbell High School Women's RFC.
- Alex Rocca: Atlanta Renegade Old Boy and SERRS High School Referee. Alex has refereed GHSRA matches every year since the League's inception.
"The development of high school rugby entails getting the kids at the school to promote the game and recruit. Once recruiting is developed and kids start to play, it is then entrenched in
the players to get their club built up." It is not easy to start up a rugby program, there are rules. To be an official club sport
you must have a school administrator/employee overseeing daily operations of the club. The Administrative end is the hardest part."
Starting a youth program poses even more challenges. Trying to get parents involved in a sport they know little about is harder than
Georgia clay in mid July. This is a long term goal.